- Country: Canada
- Province/State: Ontario
- City: Toronto
- How do you Identify?: East Asian
- Field of Work: Fiction/Scripted and Documentary
- Interested In: Directing Film/Digital for Hire, Directing Music Videos/Commercials, and Developing my own Film/TV/Digital Material
- Recent Credits: There's No Place Like This Place, Anyplace: Director, writer and cinematographer
- Link: http://www.luluwei.com/
Lulu Wei is a Toronto based director and cinematographer. She holds an MFA in Documentary Media from Ryerson University. Her work explores themes of urbanization, cultural identity and queerness. Her short films and installations have been screened and exhibited at various festivals including Images Festival, Planet In Focus Film Festival and Inside Out Film Festival. She has worked as a cinematographer and camera operator on numerous projects. Wei has been a member of the International Cinematographers Guild (IATSE 667) and worked in the camera department on television shows such as Orphan Black, Nikita and Degrassi. Outside of film, she has shot and directed commercials for brands such as Air Canada, Mazda, and Converse. In the past few years, she has participated in the RIDM Talent Lab, Reelworld E20 program, Hot Docs Doc Accelerator and the DOC Breakthrough program. She is currently working on her first feature about the redevelopment of the Honest Ed’s block, which is funded by Telefilm Talent to Watch, Hot Docs CrossCurrents fund and the Toronto Arts Council.
I’m currently working on my first feature and looking to connect with other poc filmmakers.