- Country: Canada
- Province/State: Ontario
- City: Toronto
- How do you Identify?: Persian/Iranian/Canadian
- Age: 38
- Experience Level: Mid-Career
- Field of Work: Fiction/Scripted
- Union: Non-Union and WGC
- Rep: Sohrab Merchant - The Characters
- Interested In: TV Writing Room, Directing TV For Hire, Directing Film/Digital for Hire, Directing Music Videos/Commercials, Developing my own Film/TV/Digital Material, For-Hire Work, and Shadowing
- Recent Credits: Coroner, Clusterf*ck, Wholesome Foods I Love You Is That OK?, Foraldraskap, The Date, Us, Broken Ice, Foreign Soil
- Favourite Movies: The Usual Suspects, True Romance, American Beauty, 12 Monkeys, The Wrestler, Inception, The Departed, Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, Superbad
- Favourite TV Shows: Game Of Thrones, Sex Education, On My Block, Band Of Brothers, Entourage, The Mindy Project, Gentefied, Chernobyl
- Pitch a Project: Ask me about the female lead, family adventure, period, true story action film about my families insane journey escaping Iran and coming to Canada in the late 80's.
- Contact Information: email@example.com 416-908-5075
- Link: http://www.verbalpictures.com/
When I was four years old my favourite food was eggplant. My parents thought I was a little weird. Sometimes I think about what I’d like my tombstone to read. Maybe:
He Was A Little Weird
I enjoy characters who are weird. Different. Human. I make films about human being doing human being things. That often means exploring the weird side of life. Our weirdness is what makes us unique, don’t you think? I think that’s what is meant when you hear people say “this filmmaker has a distinct voice”. You can switch out “distinct” for “weird” and the phrase would still stand. I strive to uncover the weirdness in people, situations, traditions, customs. Luckily, weird can often be entertaining.
Also, I’m supposed to tell you that I’ve been making film since 2006 and my projects have travelled all over the globe, been nominated, won awards and sold for broadcast and pre-sold on Indiegogo. So there’s that. #humblebrag
Most recently I served as story editor/writer for season four of CBC’s Coroner. I’ve currently got three features in development with Telefilm Canada as well as a digital series in development with CBC Gem.
I have two primary goals:
1) to sell projects of my own creation and remain attached to write/direct/produce
1A) whilst pursuing the above, work for/with other creators whom I respect and admire on their shows/films as a creative collaborator (writer/director)